Sparta was one of the city in ancient greece. Around 650 BC it became one of the prominent city in greece due to it’s Military power. It was one one of the most prominent forces in ancient greece and spartans led the greek forces during wars. All this was due to their Military power.
The soldiers of sparta were known as spartans and they were one of the most skilled soldiers of their time. Here in this article we have shared some of the famous spartan quotes, which shows their bravery and love for thier military and motherland.
Famous Spartan Quotes Collection
- “The walls of Sparta were its young men, and its borders the points of their spears.” King Agesilaos
- ‘A slave’s life is all you understand, you know nothing of freedom. For if you did, you would have encouraged us to fight on, not only with our spear, but with everything we have.’,When a rich servant of the Persian King asked two Spartans to surrender.
- “Either with it or upon it.” Spartan mothers to their sons in regards to their shields.
- “By Heracles! A man’s valor is dead.” Archidamus when he saw a catapult fire for the first time.
- “Because fear makes each man do his best to shelter his unarmed right side with the shield of the man next to him, thinking that the closer the shields are locked together the better will he be protected.” Thucydides on why hoplite armies edge to the right as the battle begins.
- “…Feel no fear before the multitude of men, do not run in panic,
but let each man bear his shield straight toward the fore-fighters,
regarding his own life as hateful and holding the dark spirits of death as dear as the radiance of the sun.”
- ‘Not How Many But Where’,The Spartans used to ask about the enemy, it was not important how many there are, but where the enemy was.
- “Because we fight close to the enemy.” King Agesilaos when asked why their swords were so short.
- “Son, remember your courage with each step.” A Spartan mother to her son.
- “Add a step forward to it.” A Spartan mother to her son when he complained his sword was too short.
- “The Spartans are the equal of any men when they fight as individuals; fighting together as a collective, they surpass all other men.” Damaratus to Xerxes.
- ‘Have a good breakfast men, for we dine in Hades!’,King Leonidas’ words to his soldiers to enjoy their breakfast as nobody thought that they would survive the day and they didn’t, it was the third day of war.
- When he was asked why he had come to fight such a huge host with so few men, Leonidas answered, “If numbers are what matters, all Greece cannot match a small part of that army; but if courage is what counts, this number is sufficient.”
- When asked whether bravery or justice was a more important virtue, Agesilaus explained, “There is no use for bravery unless justice is present, and no need for bravery if all men are just.”
- ‘You should reach the limits of virtue, before you cross the border of death. ‘
‘How glorious fall the valiant, sword in hand, in front of battle for their native land!’
‘Rise up, warriors, take your stand at one another’s sides, our feet set wide and rooted like oaks in the ground. ‘
‘…learn to love death’s ink-black shadow as much as you love the light of dawn. ‘
‘Here is courage, mankind’s finest possession, here is the noblest prize that a young man can endeavor to win.’
By Spartan poet Tyrtaeus